Written by admin on February 28, 2010 – 3:31 am -

HR has said that I need to not wear perfume because it offends those with allergies and even if I don’t wear the perfume it will still be in my clothes and I can’t afford to get them dry cleaned right now.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Perfume Allergies | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “I work in a small office where people have allergies to perfume and I like to wear perfume. What can I do?”

1. By deftoneschik42o on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

get dryell. (= and if u like to wear perfume and stuff why not try a body splash from victorias secret or bath and body works. they smell incredible and wont irritate peoples noses.

2. By sahara on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I would explain to HR about your dry cleaning situation then get them cleaned as soon as you can. Looks like your days of wearing purfume at work are over. I had that problem in my office where a coworker was drenched in purfume and I had to complain because it was just too hard to breath. Think of others in situations like these, especially if you’re in a small workplace.

3. By confidentgal on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

If HR has told you to back off on the perfume, do so. Sorry! Wear it on the weekends and in the evenings to pamper yourself.

4. By hmark on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

As someone who is highly allergic to perfumes, I can tell you that it gives me a nagging headache that won’t go away, and for others with higher sensitivity levels, it may put them into anaphylactic shock. That means that their airways will swell until it cuts off their oxygen supply & they will have to go to Emergency Room (at the nearby hospital) for treatment.

As someone who has been through anaphylaxis, I can definitely say that you don’t want to do that to anyone, so please do not wear the perfume as it may be someone’s life at stake, and they will thank you for it.

5. By keiko on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, don’t mess with HR, been there, done that. I know it sounds totally lame. Try wearing less perfume, only put it on your wrists and also dilute the solution with water. As for the clothes, hang them outside if its nice, the air might get rid of the perfume smell.

6. By Shard on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I think HR is right. Airing your clothes or hand washing them might be a good solution for you. Forcing your workmates to endure your perfume can permanently damage their health.

7. By Donnao on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I am allergic to lots of perfume. Please don’t wear it.

Wear perfume when you are at home not at work.

8. By Meowmix on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Not wearing perfume at all is going a little overboard. My suggestion would be to limit the amount of sprays that you normally used in the past. Also, be sure not to spray yourself again after leaving your house. If you follow this advice, you’ll be fine. Your co-workers won’t complain at that point. Perfume should only be noticed when entering your personal & close space. No one should be up that close on top of you anyway! If they still complain, tell them to back off & then YOU go to HR to complain about their harrassment!

9. By Jolene on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

If HR says to not wear perfume then don’t wear perfume. Don’t even dab a small amount on your wrist or water it down to wear it. A person with perfume allergies is going to suffer from your perfume smell even if you only dab a small amount on and you’ll end up being reported to HR for not following their instructions. If you can’t have your clothes cleaned right away explain it to HR so they know but please clean them as soon as possible so you don’t continue to hurt others around you with the perfume smell.

10. By Kathleen Jamison on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I have lost two jobs now because I am a very severe allergy to perfumes and hand creams. I worked in an office enviroment where there is no fresh air. You sit among your coworkers wearing perfumes. My airways would swell and I could not breath. I coughed all day and I would lose my voice. My nasal passages would swell, I had headaches all day, anxiety try to breath. I have been taken by ambulance to the hospital from both jobs and the first job let me go because of my medical problem. I went to the EEOC, they ruled against me. They said my employer moved my seat enough times and that was a good enough effort to make accommodations for my lack of ability to breath while sitting among my coworkers using and wearing perfume products. I am 55 yrs old, I have worked in an office for 20 yrs doing billing work and I don’t have any other skills. My life has been ruined by this allergy and the lack of caring from my coworkers and the management, regarding my health. I am now unemployed again and I don’t know what I am going to do. But the people that I worked with at both jobs still have their jobs, and they could not care less that I had to lose mine because they insisted on wearing perfume!

11. By Vicky on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

As a person having difficulty at this moment breathing due to someone coming into my “personal space” in my office I agree that perfume should only be worn outside of the office. AND Victoria Secrets perfumes/body splashes, etc are just horrendous to someone that can’t tolerate smells.